Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Eating Out Vegan

Over the weekend, my guys decided they wanted pizza for dinner since we were having company come over. Not a bad idea since that is normally the most cost effective meal for us. But since I am staying away from cheese and dairy products on the 21 day vegan kickstart this was going to be one of my first challenges as a vegan. Luckily, while at work we had a phone book with resteraunt menus. The pizza place across the street actually had a few items on the list that I could purchase.

I called up and order a pepperoni pizza for the guys and a large order of hot wings with garlic knots. For myself, I ordered the Veggie Hero. After not having cheese or meat for a week, the smells of it all did seem tempting. But I held on to my will power. First, I really don't care for pepperoni so the pizza was a turn off. The wings were more tempting as they smelled delicious. But I stayed away.

I opened my Veggie Hero and was surprised to find it packed with lettuce, tomato, onions, black olives and sweet peppers. However, the resteraunt did not put oil and vinegar on it as was stated on the menu. No big loss since I had plenty of dressing options. I put some Italian dressing on the hero and found it was pretty good. A little to heavy on the sweet peppers. It would have been nice to have other veggie options to add without the price going up too.

Overall, it wasn't bad nor was it that difficult to eat out during the weekend. Other options available were Eggplant wraps, Veggie Wraps and Eggplant Hero's.

Temptation did overcome me once though. I ate a garlic knot. It was delicious and worth it. 

On Monday, we went out to do some volunteer work with the Lehigh Valley Donation Center. The boys decided they wanted McDonald's. Another challenge for the vegan me. I was very proud of my youngest son who decided to skip fries and get apples instead with his Happy Meal. I found it very easy to order off the Value Menu. I ordered a side salad with low fat Italian dressing and a small order of fries. I was full when we left. If I go to McDonald's again while on the vegan plan, I will be trying the fruit and walnut salad which looks delicious. A bonus: the side salad has no cheese so no having to pick it off.

I'm 9 days into the plan and have lost 6 pounds. Staying away from dairy products is getting easier with those results.

No comments:

Post a Comment