Friday, January 15, 2010

Shopping and a Vegan Dinner


Today, my guy and I, went shopping for items to bring to the Lehigh Valley Donation Center on Monday. We also went shopping for some grocery items and a new shower head. Ours broke while attending our friends wedding in Maryland.

First we purchased a lot of items for the donation center including kitty food, dog food, people food and other stuff that the shelters are in need of. Next on the list was the showerhead and then we were off to find a few vegan products for myself. Lots of my friends on facebook are encouraging, supporting and giving me advice about being vegan. The one big complaint about the two photos I have put up was that I don't have enough protein in the dishes. However, I have been snacking on peanuts, peanut butter, banana chips, and other healthy alternatives that do have protein.

So on our shopping endeavour we went to the new Giant which opened in Tannersville, PA. I have to say I was highly impressed with the choices available. Giant has a couple of aisles devoted to natural, organic, vegan and vegetarian items. I searched at Auldies, Walmart and my local grocery store to find soy yogurt, vegan cheeses and other items such as vegan sausage but if the store had something it was very limited in the options. Giant had a huge selection.

I got soy yogurt in peach and strawberry and vegan American flavored cheese. I have not tried either one yet but plan to do so tomorrow.

Tonight for dinner my guy made an entire vegan dinner for the whole family. I'm not making them do this challenge with me but they have been going along with me for the ride. Tonight's dinner was burritos made with red beans and rice, homemade salsa (tomato, jalepeno, garlic, seasoning) with lettuce, tomato, green and black olives, avocado, green bell peppers, and white mushrooms wrapped in a flour tortilla with a dab of the salsa alongside and extra red beans and rice. We all ate it up! And none of us were hungry after. It was a very good meal that was also satisfying.


The only issue so far with going vegan... the cost of the food! It is more expensive to buy vegan than non-vegan. Other than that it has been relatively easy to cut out animal products as long as you read the labels on products. It is amazing how many products have milk, milk powder, egg or egg yolk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment